Things to Bring
Recommendations courtesy of ‘Dirty’ Mike Elliot. If you don’t know Dirt, look him up here. He’s a friend who also brings anglers to Patagonia to fish with Dany. But more importantly, “Dirt” is an amazing fishing guide and outfitter on the Madison River and is based in Ennis.
- 5 wt fly rod- floating line and a 200-grain sinking line (fast sink intermediate line 1.5 inch per second)
- 6wt- fast action with 250-grain sink tip 20-25ft
- 7wt fly rod – 30ft sinking tip 300-350 grains as fast sinking shooting head as you can sling out there!
- Leader and tippet 1x-4x. Mostly want 1x for streamers and 3x for dries. I like throwing big dry flies with 1x and 2x also.
- Good Rain gear-felt boots are good
- Wading Staff – Bring one to feel more comfortable
- Layers for Madison Valley June weather. There will be wind!!!
- Extra $100 for Argentina fishing license
Flies- common western flies
Dry flies– Chernobyl Ant, PMX, Fat Albert,
Dragonfly and damselfly dries
Black magic is a great fly
Black, red, chartreuse colors
Small Dries – Purple Haze, Royal Wulff, Elk Hair Caddis, Goddard Caddis, Humpy, Black Beetles
(Any favorite flies for covering general mayfly, caddis, and small stone)
Nymphs – Rubber Legs, San Juan, Squirmy Worm, Pheasant Tail, Prince, Copper John, Damsel nymphs for Fonck Lake. I use olive bugger and rubber leg nymph for dragonfly nymph.
Streamers- rubber-legged cone head Wooly Bugger, Sparkle Minnow, Peanut Envy, small leeches in olive, peacock, brown for Fonck Lake
(Some light and some heavy)
*Bring proven flies that cover a large spectrum of hatches, mostly about presentation as Montana sells more fishing licenses in a year than the whole country in Argentina does!!